Make sure they are wearing appropriate protective gear - knee pads, elbow pads and wrist guards, as well as a properly fitted helmet.
Then it's time to teach them the basics of roller skating, kids learn so quickly and they will be skating around the park in no time.
These helpful tips will help teach your child how to roller skate:
- Well fitted skates. Get fitted by a Little Rookie Sport's Skate specialist. Crazy Skates adjustable roller skates and inline skates are perfect for growing feet, they allow for 4 sizes to adjust within the skate.
- Wear the appropriate protective skate gear for kids. Make sure to dress your child appropriately with protective gear knee pads, elbow pads and wrist guard, plus a helmet. Skate safety gear for kids will soften the landing if they fall, and will help protect them.
- Find a flat even surface. A nice flat even surface with no hills, bumps or rocks is the best place to learn. A local basketball or netball court at your local park is a great place to commence roller skate lessons.
- Learn the basics. Instruct your little one to keep their knees bent and to lean slightly forward. They should start walking in their skates to practice their balance.
- Start to roll. After a while of getting the hang of walking / stepping in their skates, while holding their hand, encourage them to start rolling.
- Practice, practice, and practice some more. No one masters any activity on the first try. Encourage your little one to keep practicing even if she takes some falls. With your encouragement, her confidence will grow.